My photo
CT, United States
Cell: 203-570-7480 Email: juneflower7@gmail.com Website: www.lauradonofrio.com

Prints Available On Etsy!

Followers

Thursday, September 13, 2007

July 27, 2006 - John and Stephanie

I had an assignment to paint a photograph of a person, and I had the option of doing four little paintings or one large one. I decided to do one big photo for my class, and I chose my niece, Stephanie, and not as cute brother-in-law, John, as my subject! (hurray!!!) As an artist I feel obligated to tell you all that this project was a complete failure. I know what a lot of you will say: it doesn't look like John, why is Stephanie's hair all crazy looking, where is the light coming from if the background is so dark, and if a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound? I know, I know, I have thought about all this, but I don't believe this painting can be saved. There has to come a point where the artist puts down her paintbrush and lets it be - even though to an artist a painting will never be complete. It once looked great, I think it looked pretty good at one point. That was when the background wasn't painted in, it was all white in the back, and Stephanie's hair had the perfect fluff to it, and the facial tones were just right, and it was beautiful! Then my teacher felt it would be good to do a payne's grey in the background to pop out the figures, which was true, it did need a good popping out. My attempt at the background was where everything went wrong, and I will not point out all the problems because then you will see them and agree with me that it's a failure. No, I would like to keep you all in ignorance please. I do hope you all think I did a good job! I know that with future subjects I will be able to perfect my watercolor people, but for now please accept this painting as an experiment. Especially John and Gemma- I hope you guys like it the most (or maybe hate it the most). I love you all, and hope you are doing well!


Laura D'Onofrio

No comments: