My photo
CT, United States
Cell: 203-570-7480 Email: juneflower7@gmail.com Website: www.lauradonofrio.com

Prints Available On Etsy!

Followers

Thursday, December 24, 2020

Love's Embrace

Love's Embrace

Psalm 139:13-14 "For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."

I am writing this the morning of Christmas eve, and it seems like this painting is more fitting for mother's day. Yet here we are together once again, the 11th painting of my Sacred Art Series is finally here, and it is better than I ever imagined it to be. 2020 was the year we all could have used a hug more than any other time in our lives. I can't wait until the time we can hug everyone again.

I am not a preacher, but an artist. For the past 8 years I have painted images of human beings who symbolically finished their lives and then met Jesus, as well as echoes of godly love imitated from human to human, such as this piece "Love's Embrace" depicting a mother and son, and "Love's Reunion," which shows a couple being reunited in heaven. Despite our earthly choices to act or not to act, despite our insecurities and shortcomings, despite how we have been broken, burnt or hurt, was God's love still available to us? His love is a gift for all of us, and this is the message of the sacred art series that can be felt to my core: 'God loves you today, tomorrow, and always.' 

A mother's love is as close as we can come compared to the love of God. Even this love would have an earthly limit, but it is still such a beautiful love to experience.

Isaiah 49: 14-16 "But Zion said, The LORD hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me. Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me."



In this painting we see a mother peacefully reunited with her son in heaven. This past July I lost my grandmother, who was an important matriarch in my family. She expressed a love to me that few people have given me, and I still am able to call upon her love when I need it most, even after her passing. Perhaps you have lost someone one too this past year. I don't think love ends after someone dies, it is an energy that is still available to us personally if we ask for it, just as God is there if we ask for him to be near us. 

The knowledge that we are loved no matter what is a powerful concept, and knowing that our family will always love us beyond the veil is just as powerful. I am grateful that God allows that connection to continue. Today, Christmas Eve, is a chance to celebrate the joy of togetherness, family, and especially love for one another. I hope you can be able to hug whoever is near you today, because they need it. Consider this painting a big hug to you as well.

Merry Christmas!

Love,

Laura

Please consider visiting my website at www.lauradonofrio.com (It is a little bit under construction, but I hope to have some things on the website fixed soon)

Here are some songs that inspired me during this particular work of art:

The Earth Prelude, by Ludovico Einaudi


Deepest Blue, by Joshua Hyslop


A Big Thank you to:

Mary and Nathaniel- Thank you for allowing me to paint a special moment of your mother-son connection. It is more beautiful than I ever hoped in my mind, and your sweet spirits brought this painting to life.

Christine Simmons- Thank you again for being my eyes and sharing your photography gifts with us.

No comments: